Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Real Estate Attorney
19305272

Life residency when spouse dies. Who pays the property taxes-the

Life residency when spouse dies. Who pays the property taxes-the executor of the will or the spouse

TMcJD :

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

TMcJD :

A life tenant is responsible for the property during the life tenant's right just as if that person owned the property in full.

TMcJD :

Please let me know if I can provide additional assistance. If not, I would be grateful if you could please leave me a positive rating. I cannot receive credit for my work without your positive rating and that is the sole means of compensation for JustAnswer experts. Thanks.

Customer:

so if the administrator of the will and the next to inherit when I die is responsible for nothing Can they inspect the property yearly or have access to the house during my stay there

TMcJD :

The life tenant is responsible for not committing waste, so they do have limited rights to prevent you from doing something to diminish the value of the property. However, that does not give them a right to come into the home for inspections all the time. You own it during your life. They really have no rights to access the property or benefit from the property during your lifetime.

Customer:

Thank you as this is a sticky issue

TMcJD :

You're welcome. Please let me know if I can help with anything in the future. Have a great evening!