texlawyer
texlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their real estate questions and experienced in real estate litigation.
45002201

My RE Agent told me it would take years to subdivide my house

My RE Agent told me it would take years to subdivide my house from attsched timberland. So I sacrificed 25 acres to sell the house. Now, 90 days later, the buyer is selling the timberland to the City.. Do I have any recourse?

TexLawyer :

Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

The answer is maybe, but it depends.

TexLawyer :

If your agent was negligent in her advice, then you likely to have a valid lawsuit. However, simply being wrong does not make one necessarily negligent.

TexLawyer :

In other words, if her advice was reasonable under the circumstances, then you don't have the basis of a lawsuit, since just being wrong isn't enough to make out a negligence claim.

TexLawyer :

If, however, a reasonable agent would not give the same advice, then you may well have a case. In order to make that determination, you will need to see a lawyer, who will engage a neutral real estate expert to evaluate the agent's advice and the circumstances of the market, etc.

TexLawyer :

At that point, you will have a better idea of the validity of the case.