Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years extensive experience in real estate law, foreclosure, finance, and landlord tenant law.
11688690

Father dies intestate. Current wife and two children of the

Father dies intestate. Current wife and two children of the father inherit property. Both children sign quitclaim deeds awarding their full interests in the property to the wife who is the stepmother of the two children. Quitclaim deeds are filed by the stepmother so she is full owner of property.

Stepmother dies intestate. Do the children inherit foorm the stepmother since she never adopted either child?

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

No, the children don't inherit from the step-mother through the intestate succession laws UNLESS she specifically bequeaths them the property or in general leaves them all her assets through a Last Will and Testament.

The intestate succession laws provide for distribution of a decedent's estate or assets to basically persons related by "blood".

If she would have formally adopted them - then they would inherit the property pursuant to the intestate succession law. But since she didn't - her property passes otherwise.

Here is a link showing how her assets would pass to her heirs:

http://www.texasroyalty.com/UserFiles/File/1a%20Intestate%20Succession%20-%20Texas%20Law%20070207%20v2.pdf

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know…

You can always ask for me in your question, “This question is for Law Pro . . (then on with your question) . . . .

Please press the Accept Button(and the Smiley Face if prompted :) if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you.