How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 102346
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a lawyer to represent me with a homestead exemption

This answer was rated:

I need a lawyer to represent me with a homestead exemption issue. My aunt is in a nursing home and it has come to the attention of the appraisers office that we the family were still paying her taxes using the homestead exemption. What type of lawyer should I contact?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your family's situation.

What type of lawyer should I contact? A "real estate attorney" is who you are seeking. May I recommend the FL Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

Remember, many attorneys will work on a payment plan, so do ask them about this. But this should not be too expensive to begin with.

If finances are an issue, I can recommend three resources. First, here is a list of all pro bono work in the state...

…and another list:

Finally, you may call your local law school and see if they have a legal clinic place available. The legal clinic is a free service the school(s) provide to the community. While they are often overbooked, they have openings sometimes. Here is the list law schools in your state:

Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you think it is possible to get out of this without going to jail?

In the USA, you do not go to jail for owing back-taxes. The County Property Appraiser's office may seek back taxes from someone, but all they can do is collect judgment by levy, garnishment, attachment of non-exempt property, and lien. You cannot be incarcerated for this matter unless there was fraud involved and it is a CRIMINAL matter, and it sounds like this is not.

I hope this helps and clarifies.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Ely and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you