How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55604
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought property in Shumway Az, and it is land locked, there

This answer was rated:

I bought property in Shumway Az, and it is land locked, there are no recorded easements, there is a front lot that is fenced (sm triangle) which the neighbor does not use. How can I get access to my property?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Courts will not allow a property in your situation to be landlocked. If your neighbor(s) will not voluntarily give you an ingress/egress easement, then you will want to file a suit to quiet title asking the court to grant you an easement by necessity. An easement by necessity is an easement granted by a court for property that would otherwise have no access in situations exactly like yours. Once the court grants this easement, the order can be recorded in the real property records of the city/county in which your property is located and it will be as if the neighbor granted the easement. You will be allowed full access to your property. At that point, if the applicable neighbor tries to block your access, he will be held in contempt of court and subject to civil and/or criminal sanctions.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What other "gotcha's" might I have? What Steps should be taken before the "Quiet Title" is filed?

Thanks for following up. You would want to first send a letter by certified mail addressed to all the property owners who could provide access to your property and let them know that if someone does not provide access within a short specified period of time, you will be filing this suit. This could result in them capitulating so you don't have to file the suit. Typically, even if you have to file the suit, the mere filing of the suit is sufficient to cause the neighbor whose property would be the most direct route to access to settle this without the hearing. Otherwise, you'll need to file the suit to get your access.
Richard and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!