Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

in 2006 a house I was living in belonging to my brother in

law burnt down around me...
in 2006 a house I was living in belonging to my brother in law burnt down around me! me and my son lost approx. eight thousand dollars worth of our stuff.i made an itemized list and they,steven and his mother,sumbmitted it along with a list of thier's.i had no lease agreement,or renters insurance.stupid on my part.but I thought they would compensate me.I was wrong.it has been a bone of contention ever since.do I have any legal recourse?
5/12/2013
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Dear JACUSTOMER - If your brother was compensated for the amount of your property then you can file a suit to recover that amount Obviously he was receiving money for property that belonged to you and not him so the money for that property reimbursement should have been yours since he was claiming on your behalf. You and your son, if your son is an adult, would have to file a joint suit against your brother for recovery of the money. Depending on the jurisdictional limits of your local small claims court you can file in small claims without the need for an attorney. If the jurisdictional amount is not $8000 then you may each have to file a separate suit in order to stay within the monetary limits of the court. I believe you have a valid claim for recovery of the money since your brother would not have had the money from the insurance without using or listing your personal property.
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer