How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 38897
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in a mother in law apartment. I fell on the property,

This answer was rated:

I live in a mother in law apartment. I fell on the property, which was in very poor condition, and sustained a severe injury. Can I file a complaint with my landord's homeowners insurance? I live in Seattle, Washington.

Your landlord's homeowners association is not liable for accidents which occur inside the landlord's separate property. If you fell while in a common area, such as a parking lot or sidewalk, then you could claim against the association's insurance. But, if you are injured inside the apartment, then your claim would be against the landlord and his/her insurer.

Many people believe that they can get a better financial outcome by not hiring a lawyer for a personal injury matter. In my experience, a competent personal injury lawyer can get more from the landlord and/or his/her insurer, than the injured party can get, even after subtracting the lawyer's contingency fees. Consequently, I would strongly encourage you to consult with a personal injury lawyer before you file any claim on your own.

For a competent referral, see this link.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
socrateaser and 6 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you