How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 38906
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

forclosure advertising expence to be $3000.00

This answer was rated:

Is it typical for forclosure advertising expence to be $3000.00 a month away from auction of property? Called bank to pay and come current.  Was told to contact there attorney (I owe 3 mths mortgage $7,000.00). The attorney sent me email stating $3,000.00 attorney fees, $3,000 advertising fees and 250 title fee.  Is that typical and can I question or ask for proof of advertising (i.e. receipts) and his/her hour charge brake down?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do I have right to ask for proof of advertisment and time brake down from attorney?

You do not have the right to force the attorney to prove the advertising costs. However, you could suggest to the attorney that the fee seems unreasonable, especially as you have obtained rates from several local newspapers of general circulation, and that you would like him to check the charge to ensure that it's correct, because you would hate to discover that he was misrepresenting the charges, which would result in a complaint to the State Bar. Etc.

The lawyer will know that you're about to create a big problem if he maintains the unreasonable fee. Hopefully, he won't get all defensive and blow you off. If he does, then you may have no choice other than to pay the bill under protest and the sue him for fraud in small claims court -- and/or file a state bar complaint.

Hope this helps.