How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 9366
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I rented a house in the Hamptons last summer. The deposit was

This answer was rated:

I rented a house in the Hamptons last summer. The deposit was $5k. I never received it back. After six months and six emails, the owner offered me a puny $750 in return. The house was returned in perfect condition. In fact, it was I who had the serious complaints.

As an example, she is charging me for an extra day because I left the house at 1 pm instead of 11am...yet, she had someone else stay there that night. Keep in mind that the house cost $2000 per day to rent.

What recourse do I have? I told her I would file a claim in NY and with the Better Business Bureau. I offered $2500, but really, I have no reason to take less than $4000. Her ceiling broke open and caused damages to my property....
In any event, is there any clear statute I can cite to shake her up? I need the money back.
I am sorry to hear this.

NY does not have a statute that requires the landlord to refund the deposit within a specific amount of time.

If there is an attorney fees clause in the rental agreement, that would give you some leverage since you can threaten to sue for return of the deposit plus your attorneys' fees. If not, you can file an action in small claims court, but states that the consumer fraud bureau of the Attorney General’s Office is very interested in these cases and in getting them resolved quickly.

Links to the consumer complaint form and office locations are posted at

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for accepting my answer, and thank you very much for the bonus!