How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31679
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Purchased a home 3 years ago by owner. Had inspection, found

This answer was rated:

Purchased a home 3 years ago by owner. Had inspection, found out inspector friend of owner, Roof is leaking (suppose to be new) inspector said good for 8 years. I want out! had to fix several things now roof and mold. Can I walk away?
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

It's not likely that you can walk away, but it is possible that you can sue for the material misrepresentation, fraud and negligence. But, you only have 4 years to do so, so you would need to act fast.

You could sue for the misrepresentations made to you by the seller and inspector and seek the cost of repairs, plus any related damages - - including attorneys fees. The only way a court would likely allow you to recover your money and walk away would be if the damages were not repairable.

You should consider hiring an attorney in your area about pursuing this claim.
Roger and 4 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I call my Insurance company and work on trying to fix? didn't know roof was leaking and now have mold 1/2 way thru house.

Yes, you do need to file a claim and try to get the damage fixed as you have a duty to mitigate your damages by making repairs. You can seek your out of pocket expenses through your lawsuit.

Related Real Estate Law Questions