How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Canadian looking to invest in Clearwater, Florida real

This answer was rated:

I am a Canadian looking to invest in Clearwater, Florida real estate. I am handy and have done many renovation projects in Canada. My question is can I do my own renovations (we're talking painting, maybe putting ceramic tiles, nothing electrical, plumbing or structure-related) if I don't intend on occupying the property (I will either rent it or sell it). Also, would you be able to state the exact law used to support the answer.
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Yes, the International Building Code allows for homeowners in Florida to do construction work on their own property. As you pointed out, you would need a licensed electrician or plumber, but for all other work, you are free to go crazy and do it all yourself.

I am actually gut renovating a home myself right now, so I have researched this extensively.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

If you have a court order stating that he is liable for half of the debt in your name, then you can use that court order to file a claim in the bankruptcy court as a creditor. You can try to get some money out of the proceedings to pay off what he owes that is in your name.

Honestly, this is not how this should have worked out, and it makes me crazy when I see judges split up property and liability without requiring it to be put in that person's name. So those amounts should have been transferred over to his name, either through a loan, a credit card, whatever.

You could still go back to court and ask the judge to amend the court order in light of changed circumstances. You can ask that all his debts be in his name at this point so that you aren't burdened with them.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Please do not rank my answer until we finish discussing.


· This is my full-time job, not a hobby. If you do not “ACCEPT” my answer, or rate my service “Poor” or “Bad”, the system will keep all of your money and I will not get paid.

· My answer is meant to help educate you about the law, and I promise to give you the best answer possible.

· I will receive only half of the amount that you pay for your question. Multiple accepts or tips are greatly appreciated.

· If I do not reply immediately I might be offline or working with another customer. Please be patient, I will get back to you quickly!

· Please note that even if my answer is not what you were hoping for, I have given you a complete answer and can not control if the law is against you. A favorable rating would be appreciated.

· If you don’t accept my answer, or give me a poor or bad rating, the website retains your entire payment, and I receive no credit or payment for my work with you.

To request me in the future, please start your question with "To KimberlyLaw".
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But isn't there a law if im not a resident in the United States and I don't intend on occupying the property myself? I'm just making sure because I have been told that I needed to get a US resident to do the work for me.

I don't see anything in the building code that limits this rule to someone who is not a US citizen. I can't imagine why that would matter. It doesn't matter if you are going to occupy the home or not, the code allows you to do the work.

As long as you are legally allowed to make the purchase, you should be treated by the code the same way as any other owner.

KimberlyLaw and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks a lot for clearing that up.