How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118243
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am about to buy a second home. I will rent this home

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am about to buy a second home. I will rent this home out on a weekly bassis so I can get some income from it and use it to. What I am wanting to know is what would be the best way to own this home as far as taxes are concerned. I will have a mortgage on the house. I live in a house which I own in New York state and the second house is in Maine. Thanks -Gene

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

How are you going to buy the investment property - in your own name?

Because if you buy the property in your own name, place a mortgage on the property you can then later on transfer title into something else unless you get the mortgage company's consent to do such.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
He is asking me what I am asking him.
Can you get the loan in other than your name?

Do you already have an LLC formed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can do what ever is needed to take advantage of tax laws. Can you please come to the point.

I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other experts.

Your JA Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS unless you actively disable these features.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.

My apologies for any inconvenience and Good Luck.
Thank you for your question. Different expert here. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you are taking this on as a second home for investment reasons and you will be renting it out, the best way for tax purposes is forming an LLC and owning the house in the LLC. The reason for this is that all of your expenses on that house, including interest, insurance and repairs/maintenance then become a deductible business expense as does travel to the house to check on the property. The LLC also protects the house from being attacked by any creditors and protects you from being personally liable for anything that happens at the property.

Your other way to do this is in an irrevocable real estate trust, which provides maximum protection from any creditors of yours and also avoids probate issues and allows the house to pass to your heirs in the event of your death without probate or without estate tax issues.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118243
Experience: Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you