How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118635
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to file an extension of time in which to reply to a

This answer was rated:

I need to file an extension of time in which to reply to a Demurrer. I can't seem to find a CA Civ. Code that I can quote for this request?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you again.

Under CA Rules of Court 3.503, Requests for extensions of time or to shorten time

(a) Assigned judge may grant request

The assigned judge, on terms that are just, may shorten or extend the time within which any act is permitted or required to be done by a party. Unless otherwise ordered, any motion or application for an extension of time to perform an act required by these rules must be served and submitted in accordance with rule 3.501(17).

(Subd (a) amended effective January 1, 2007; adopted as part of unlettered subd effective January 1, 1974; previously amended and lettered effective January 1, 2005.)

(b) Stipulation requires consent of assigned judge

A stipulation for an extension of time for the filing and service of documents required by the rules in this chapter requires approval of the assigned judge.

(Subd (b) amended and lettered effective January 1, 2005; adopted as part of unlettered subd effective January 1, 1974.)

(c) Extension does not extend time for bringing action to trial

Nothing in this rule extends the time within which a party must bring an action to trial under Code of Civil Procedure section 583.310.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much! I am assuming that this is filed in a motion or is this simply a request to the court. I have a motion reservation number and am prepared to file it as a motion, or do I file this as a request to the court and not a motion?

Yes, everything you do is filed by motion. If the other party will agree to the extension it is filed as a joint stipulation to extend time. If they will not agree, then it is filed as an motion for an extension of time. You need to explain your good cause need for the extension.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you