Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have received a foreclosure complaint. I want to file an

extension so I can hire...
I have received a foreclosure complaint. I want to file an extension so I can hire some legal help and prepare case. It is in the Court of Common Pleas Of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh) courts. Is their a maximum time I can ask for and is it automatic once filed. I tried to call the courts but they will not give me an answer they say ask an attorney. Please Help!!!
4/23/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

You can file a motion for an extension of time to answer the complaint. You would need to specify some good cause in the motion as a reason for the court to grant your request. The good cause would be in your case to hire legal counsel for representation. The amount of time granted is solely discretionary with the court and generally you ask for 60 days and the court will issue a 30 day extension for you to find an attorney. You need to get the motion for extension of time to answer filed as soon as possible before the date the answer is due so that the court can rule on the matter and issue the court order of extension.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer