How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55285
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a judgement levied against me for $120,000, I live in

This answer was rated:

I had a judgement levied against me for $120,000, I live in Texas, the creditor has now place a lien against my homestead. What can I do to have this lein removed other then pay the money which I do not have? Also, the homestead is in joint name and the judgement is only against me.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Texas has an unlimited homestead exemption so the judgment creditor cannot legally place a lien against your homestead. When a creditor does so, the first think you would do is send the creditor a notice explaining the foregoing and request that the judgment creditor release the lien on the homestead property. If your judgment creditor refuses to do so, you would file suit to ask the court to order the lien released and to award you damages against your judgment creditor for the illegal lien.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!

Related Real Estate Law Questions