How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  Mediator, part of the Ohio Save the Dream Foreclosure project
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This one week timeshare was purchased by myself and my deceased

This answer was rated:

This one week timeshare was purchased by myself and my deceased wife, Elinor, on April 1, 2004 for a total price, including closing costs of $ 14,086. During 2004 we used the timeshare for vacation purposes, and each year thereafter held the property for appreciation and rental income. Each year I reported and paid tax on the rental income. In recent years it became apparent that my heirs did not want the timeshare and I was concerned about potential assessments due to possible hurricane damage.
I was unable to sell the time share so on May 25, 2012 I contacted the “Timeshare Relinquishment Program” (see attached letter), paid the $1,000 fee and on October 21, 2012 received the attached letter from “United Title Transfers, LLC”
Informing me that the timeshare had been transferred out of my name.
Can I deduct this time share on my "2012" income tax return as a lost?
Thank you

As investment property ( property used to generate income) you are entitled to declare a business loss on the property. You should consult an accountant because it appears there was also personal use of the property.The personal use would affect how much of the gain/loss you can claim. Your tax return would need to completed properly showing the time share as an investment with investment income ( and loss). You will need to have records documenting time used for rental and time used for personal use. The expense to sell the property should also be deductible,


Please press ACCEPT with the appropriate rating so I may get credit for my answer.If you have other questions please ask.



Jack R. and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you