Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Lawyer question regarding real estate, as well as a past medical

bill? Lets say his name...
Lawyer question regarding real estate, as well as a past medical bill?

Lets say his name is XXXXX XXXXX accidentally injured at the age of 21 and had a 20K or so medical bill due to a surgery he had to repair his leg. He was young and was never able to pay this bill of. Now he is 28.........and we are wondering whether or not title to real estate can be entered into his name without having any problems from this event that was about 7 years old. Do bills like this just drop off? I am wondering if I would be able to transfer a home into his name (the home is paid off 100%) and then if HE would be able to transfer it to another person...or rather.... sell the property after it is remodeled without running into problems in escrow etc.

Basically JOE has not ever contacted the hospital/etc...years later he received docs from an attorneys office where they had lowered the bill, but still he was not able to pay.

He is wondering about all this because he has not even put a car title in his name or anything...is there something to worry about...? file? Take care of? Thanks.

From California
9/1/2012
Barrister, Lawyer
.
Did Joe ever pay on the bill?
.
If so when was the last payment?
.
And the bill was incurred 7 years ago?
.
Was he ever sued with the hospital getting a judgment against him?
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please remember to rate my answer. I will gladly continue our discussion until you have gotten the information you need.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button.

.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes. But rest assured, I will get back to you.

.

I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Hi, he never made a payment and joe has never received a judgement...(anything from the courts) ONLY a few bills or more from an attorney trying to resolve the debt.

I am wondering if JOE can buy a house with his father co signing for him....and not have any problems dealing with this past problem.

Either that opertion or having property simply transferred through a quit claim etc.....and then transfer it off thx.

Ok, at this point, if they never sued, the debt is past the statute of limitations in CA for collection, which is 4 years.
.
So there is nothing they can legally do to collect on it now and he can buy a house or anything else without worrying about them being able to levy on it.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

.

.

Barrister, Lawyer

Thanks for the great info.....I wonder why they never sued?

You are very welcome. They likely didn't think a 21 yr old had any assets they could get. Then they just forgot about it...
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes.But rest assured, I will get back to you.

.

I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing.There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing.The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister, Lawyer