Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

appeal bond

A. Please would you tell...
A. Please would you tell me what normally happens to the money deposited as a bond for an appeal, if the appellant loses? Does the court keep that money? B. In our case I'm not sure how much we should claim when we file our writ of attachment. This is because the total debt owed, from the judgement in MD, is $2,800. $1,700 is currently held in escrow by the court in VA, and the amount of the bond paid is also $1,700. Since we have received nothing yet, I guess we could claim the whole $1,700 when we file the writ, but if we were to be successful at the appeal then we will be paid the $1,700 in escrow and would not be entitled to the whole amount of the bond since that would mean we'd received $3,400. Can you explain how we should proceed with the writ re the amount we should claim?
Answered in 1 day by:
3/25/2012
Fran-mod
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Yes, I'm still waiting for an answer. I'd like to stay with this expert because he's familiar with this case. Is he available? thanks, Kate
Hi. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
1) The bond on appeal is to secure any judgment that was ordered in the lower court. If the winning party wins on appeal as well, the bond secures the fact that the losing party will pay the judgment. If the losing party pays the judgment the bond is released and returned, if it is not paid in 30 days, the judgment and fees are paid from the bond.

2) If you are successful, then you would be entitled to the entire amount of the judgment if the bond was placed to secure that judgment.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT and/or the HAPPY SMILEY FACE button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Thanks for this. So does that mean that if we win the appeal we will receive the $1,700 which is currently held in escrow, plus $1,100 from the supersedeas bond, the two amounts totalling $2,800, which is the amount of the original judgement from the lower court?
You would receive the total judgment plus interest of about 10% on the judgment.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer