Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I would like to know if I have raparian water rights. I own…

Customer Question
I would like to know...
I would like to know if I have raparian water rights. I own land that borders a naturally occuring lake. This lake was an old river that the river had shifted leaving an enclosed lake. The lake is non navigable for commerce but is large enough for fishing and small boating. Our land adjoins the lake and a hunting club has the rest of the land. Do I have the right to fish and hunt the entire lake. I have seen where it is stated a man made - non navigable lake I might only have the right to fish the area that my land touches and extends into the water.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/11/2012
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Even though it is no longer navigable for commerce, the lake is naturally created and not man made. The man made lake belongs to the owner of the property to the exclusion of all others. The riparian land owner owns title to the center of the bed of a non-navigable lake. There can also be multiple owners of the bed of a non-navigable lake, but the owners can all use the entire lake surface as long as they do not impair the rights of the other riparian land owners. Thus, you can use the entire lake as they can as well.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT and/or the HAPPY SMILEY FACE button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Cool Thanks. This is the information that I need to know. Are there any cases that I might be able to reference for the non man made lake
I am sorry, while I would like to do that for you, the terms and the scope of this site in relation to the cost to us for access to legal research databases (over $160 per hour) does not allow us to do so from this site.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer