How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7310
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much does it cost to put a lien on a house in the state

Resolved Question:

How much does it cost to put a lien on a house in the state of South Carolina?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 years ago.
What kind of lien are you referring to.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Lien on a house. I loaned my sister money to buy a home in South Carolina and she moved from Ohio and now doesn't want to repay me. She is scheduled to receive some money from our Mother's inheritance [she passed away in July 2011]. I am hoping to recoup some of the $60,000.00 I loaned her from my CD I cashed in.


I live in Virginai but my other sister can process the paperwork for me in SC.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 years ago.

You cannot simply "put a lien" on someone's home. First you have to sue her for the money she owes you. When you obtain a court judgment against her, that will constitute a lien on any real estate in that she owns in the county where the judgment is rendered.


I have answered your question. Please click on ACCEPT so that I will be compensated. BONUSES for quick and helpful responses are very appreciated. If you wish clarification of the answer, please send me a "Reply". If you have additional questions, I would be happy to assist, but as a courtesy I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you ACCEPT the answer to your first question before branching off into other new questions.
Also, this answer does not create an attorney client relationship and you are urged to consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this answer according to your state's laws and local customs and practice.


Irwin Law and 4 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions