How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.Hazelbaker Your Own Question
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4385
Experience:  Extensive experience and training in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
J.Hazelbaker is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons family was called to court regarding their late rent

Resolved Question:

My son's family was called to court regarding their late rent payments. The court is going to take place on Monday, March 12.
My son is a resident in Kings County MC. His residency is coming to end on June, 2012.
His wife lost her job and cannot find another.
They have two kids, 5 and 1,5 year old.
They live in Trump village in Brooklyn, NY since 2006. They did not have delays in rent payments until my daughter-in-law lost her job. Last year, they were called to court once and signed papers for Trump Village, saying, they'd not be late in rent payments, but on January, 2012, after a few days of delay, MAnagement refuses to take payments.
What mast they do now? How can they fix this situation?
Do they need a lawyer on Monday?
Thanks a lot for your advise,
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 5 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Yes. They should retain a local lawyer. The eviction process is very technical and a good lawyer can find ways to defeat the eviction attempt in many cases due to the management company's failure to follow law and procedure.

Here are several web addresses that can help you locate a local attorney and for them to help protect their rights:

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.

J.Hazelbaker and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you