Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

can a credit card judgment go against your house,garnishment…

Customer Question
can a credit card judgment...
can a credit card judgment go against your house,garnishment of wages,personal property or bank accounts in the state of south carolina.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/27/2012
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Richard, Lawyer

Good morning. You house is protected up to $53,375 (joint owners may double). Your bank accounts would be at risk. They aren't going to want your personal property. And, SC is one of 4 states that does not allow the garnishment of wages.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Lawyer
should I file for bankruptcy or transfer the ownership of my house.

If the judgment has already been obtained, it's too late to transfer your house to avoid the judgment. You can always file bankruptcy to get the judgment discharged.