Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a short sale approved and ready to close but my business…

Customer Question
I have a short sale...
I have a short sale approved and ready to close but my business partner, who filed bankruptcy 3 years ago refuses to have anything to do with the property so he will not sign the papers required to close. The property is in the state of Florida, Pinellas County and I am looking for options to get this closed. He is off of the mortgage for the property because of the bankruptcy but is still on the title to the property. What can I do?????? I can't afford to keep making the payments and finally have a buyer but we cant close because of this issue... Help me please... If this doesn't happen, can I sue him for ruining my credit or put a lien against his current home for not allowing this to happen? How can I get this resolved asap as he has received the paperwork that was sent to him and was signed by his wife but has yet to respond whatsoever. He was contacted by the title company but when they mentioned the property he just hung up???? I need to get this resolved asap.... what can I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/24/2012
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
If he refuses to sign off on the title and he is in bankruptcy, then you need to first contact his bankruptcy trustee for signatures to sign off on the sale, since this is an asset of his bankruptcy estate and the bankruptcy trustee can authorize the sale. If the bankruptcy trustee refuses to authorize the sale, then your sole remaining recourse is to file suit against the partner for an order of judicial sale to force the sale.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

His bankruptcy has already been dismissed/closed.... I contacted the attorney but he said he had no way of contacting him after his bankruptcy.
If the bankruptcy has closed, then your only recourse is suing in court for an order for a judicial sale or to force him to sign the for the sale you have arranged.
How long does this usually take? I have until March 10th, 2012.
Unfortunately, if the buyer will not give you an extension, you can try for an emergency court order when you file your suit, but generally these cases can take months or more.
How would I force him to sign?
The only way to force him to sign is by filing a civil suit for judicial sale and seeking an order forcing him to sign or to pay to buy out your share.
Okay... so either way, can I get an attorney here in MO or do I have to get one in the state of Florida? I think this will be the last part.
You would need one in the state where the property is located to file suit where the property is located.
thanks for your help...... you answered everything I could think of....thanks again.
Thank you.