Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

This is a Real Estate question in MARYLAND: Husband is prepared…

Customer Question
This is a Real Estate...
This is a Real Estate question in MARYLAND: Husband is prepared to sign a QUITCLAIM DEED to give sole ownership of single family dwelling to wife pursuant to a divorce. Home has an open mortgage and wife is prepared to refinance the home.

Is there any document they need to present when submitting the Quitclaim for transfer tax and recordation?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/21/2012
Real Estate Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney replied 6 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney

No there is not. However, I would advise the husband not to sign until at the closing of the refinance and to have the attorney handling the closing draft and record the quitclaim deed at the same time.
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Is a TRANSFER TAX required on a quitclaim pursuant to divorce if the mortgage is open at transfer? Maryland
My understanding is that there is no transfer tax since the transfer is pursuant to a divorce decree in the division of marital property.