Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

About 7 months ago I was evicted from a trailer park, I was…

Customer Question
About 7 months ago I...
About 7 months ago I was evicted from a trailer park, I was renting the land that i lived on but I was purchasing the mobile home. I was late with my rent a number of times due to my husband leaving and I was taking care of my mother on a family medical leave for my father who has cancer. A new neighbor had moved in next door and hated my daughter and her children who were staying with me. He was complaining that the children were to loud, they were little. Well I did leave. They gave me ten days to get out. He told my other neighbor and I that I was not allowed to enter the park or Iwould be arrested. I then was told that the manager of the park had one of the men that worked for him carry some appliances out of the mobile home and sell numerous items to people in the court that he knew. My sister in law went over to ask the men that were there working on it if she and my brother could get the tools that my husband had left there and they so no, she would be trespassing. Well the next thing I heard was the manager had the mobile home torn down. I did hear that they had it inspected and there was mold in the walls and had to be torn down. I called the bank to talk to the person in charge of my loan and he will not talk to me or return my calls. The bank had home owners insurance on it to protect the loan. They had added 800.00 to my loan to cover it. I was behind on the loan at the time I was evicted. Now I found out that the loan is a charge off on my credit report and also the manager of the park sued me for back rent and is deducting it out of my pay check. He never deducted the items he had sold though. Can you please let me know if they have the right to do what they did and are still doing? Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/21/2012
Real Estate Lawyer: Irwin Law, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer

The straight answer to your question is probably "yes they can". Trailer park laws are very tough on the tenants. Once you default on rent and move away, based on the contract you signed they can do what they did. You can stop the wage garnishment and stop the bank (or anyone who buys your account from them) from suing you by filing bankruptcy, if it's worth it, because bankruptcy isn't cheap these days. Other than that, you'll have to treat it as "what's done is done", and go on with taking care of your family. Good luck.

I have answered your question. Please click on ACCEPT so that I will be compensated. BONUSES for quick and helpful responses are very appreciated. If you wish clarification of the answer, please send me a "Reply". If you have additional questions, I would be happy to assist, but as a courtesy I respectfully request that you ACCEPT the answer to your first question before branching off into other new questions.
Also, this answer does not create an attorney client relationship and you are urged to consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this answer according to your state's laws and local customs and practice.