Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My neighbors shed is on my property - what are my rights?

Customer Question
My neighbor's shed is on...
My neighbor's shed is on my property - what are my rights?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/30/2011
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Loren, Lawyer
You have the right to demand that they move the shed to their own property. Otherwise, you can file an action for the encroachment trespass and receive money damages if you prove your case.
Loren, Lawyer
I want to add a new fence which will block the entrance to the shed. Do I have to give them notice? If I do can I offer the 3 options 1) move the shed, 2) remove the stuff inside, or 3) pay rent if I leave everything the same
Relist: Other.
time factor no reply 'may be offline'
You are not required to give notice, however, it is probably the prudent thing to do. You can move the shed off your property, but take reasonable steps not to damage the property. You can not charge rent without an agreement, but you can charge them for the cost of moving the shed off your property if you make a demand first and they do not do anything.
Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer