Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

How do i get out of a time share contract Specifically; WorldMark

Customer Question
How do i get out...
How do i get out of a time share contract? Specifically; 'WorldMark by Windham'. We have had the contract for 2 years. We are extremely dissappointed with what we have gotten out of it. I can make a list of things that we feel were false pretenses.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/11/2011
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

First, the Worldmark product is not, to my knowledge, a "timeshare," because a timeshare grants the participants title ownership in some specific real property -- whereas, the Worldmark resort is a point system under which participants purchase points that can be used at any of the Worldmark properties (or, other properties listed in the reservation system).

The difference between the two systems, is that the point system is simply a personal services contract, without any real property title to dispose of.

There are basically three ways to avoid a contract:

1. Prove that the contract was entered into based upon a misrepresentation, or mistake, under which the other party knew of the false representation or mistake at the time of contract making -- or based upon coercion, undue influence, incapacity, illegality or shocking unfairness.

The most utilized claim is that the resort salesperson plied the customer with alcoholic beverages and then obtained the customer's signature on the contract. If this can be proved, then it is extremely persuasive to a court, because it demonstrates that the customer was incapable of voluntarily entering into the contract -- or, unduly influenced.

Proving a misrepresentation usually requires either marketing literature that flatly contradicts the contract provisions, or a witness who will testify that the salesperson misrepresented the deal. Similar evidence is required for a mistake.

Those are pretty much the only ways to avoid the contract directly.

2. The indirect method is to file for bankruptcy protection, and thereby discharge the personal obligation to pay.

3. The only other alternative is to try to negotiate a lump sum settlement, whereby the customer pays $X to get a release from further liability from the resort operator. Exactly how much would be necessary to obtain a release is unknown -- but there usually is a number that the resort will accept.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser, Lawyer
socrateaser, Lawyer