Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have a 49-yr old tenant whos lived in my apt-converted-to-condominium…

Customer Question
I have a 49-yr old...
I have a 49-yr old tenant who's lived in my apt-converted-to-condominium since 90's.
There is no proof of how long she lived there as I inherited the property and my parents did all business "on a handshake" only; no leases. She must have sensed my mom was in the beginnings of dementia because in 2003,04, or 05, she applied the unit for rent control in los angeles, with 3% increases max. My parents had never raised the rent in all the years she lived there and I raised it just one yr, so she paid $900, now $927/month for a large 1 bedroom, 2 bathroom unit with washer/dryer, gorgeous pool and exterior. My parents paid $79,000 for the condo as it was fully refurbished and converted when they bought it for me to live in for a few years. I moved out, she moved in. I'm losing $$ on it as costs outweigh rent. Wanna evict her & sell. How can I?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/19/2011
Real Estate Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com with your question. I will provide legal information related to your question.

If you can get her to agree to move out for $5000 that is your best choice. The law is not on your side in this case. Sorry.

I know. I have to be sure, since if she says no, I will have to move in there. I have 2 kids 16 yr marriage. So I could live there if she refuses my offer but its far from kids' schools, friends. Relatives could move in.Define Relative.
Relative is aunt, uncle, cousin, niece, nephew, grandparent, etc.
If tenant (who's savvy) declines my offer, I move in. This is a drastic choice so I'm looking for shortcuts. Can I, ie., move in a "relative" for some of the 2 yrs? How is relative defined? ie godfather?
You do not have to move in but a relative does. A relative is related by blood or marriage. So a godfather is not a relative unless they are also a blood relative or related by marriage.
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I think its so complex and there are several little questions that go w/ one big question that she answered as best as she can.

I'm not getting the detail I was hoping for. Saying "the law is not in your favor here" isn't saying anything too specific. I know that. I just want more creative but legal answers...Thank you.
Real Estate Lawyer: Dimitry Esquire, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Thank you for your post. I see that you relisted this question on grounds that you feel that this response was incomplete and failed to address your complex issues. Perhaps I can assist you.

May I ask, when is the property's lease term over, even if not formally written down anywhere?
Relist: Answer came too late.
There are several problems with your website. 1st, the first person who responded legaleagle, gave me a quick short answer after I gave her a descriptive question including some knowledge of the laws that apply already as I've spoken to 3 lawyers already. I want to know details: evicting a rent-controlled tenant is allowable if owner moves in for own use. Need verific of :how to do this? letter, how many days notice? 30/60? Relocation fees: I heard $9,500 by law but wanted verification. This is alot of money so when LeagleEagle didn't give me more, I sought another expert, they came in too slowly and I got cut off from seeing their answers by the time they responded as website pressured me to respond to HER answers. I authorized pmt of $79 to leagleeagle and gave my Visa. We should be done here?
My extreme apologies on your difficulty. Would you prefer that I still attempt to provide you with a more in-depth response?
legaleagle
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer