Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I had my house reinspected yesterday. The reinspection revealed…

Customer Question
I had my house reinspected...
I had my house reinspected yesterday. The reinspection revealed deficiencies: GE gas oven is producing carbon monoxide the unit tested at over 100 ppm of CO at start up and continued to produce over 27 ppm of CO for a period of more than one minute. CO gas is a significant health hazard. The front and rear (automatic type) hose bibbs (faucets) are defective - spraying water at the drain holes. Humidifier is not operational (no water feed). The left side roof 'rake board' (trim) and cornice are rotted and need full replacement' there is a large gap at the peak of the 'rake board' that should be properly sealed. Wood decay is evident at the front entry door frame at the bottom sides and at the upper trim. The garage doors show minor decay at the bottom panels. The rear door shows wood decay at the door jamb bottom; the door needs repair of the weather- stripping, caulking at the glass panel, and improved seal at the threshold. Full exterior paint and caulking is needed; paint is also needed on both sides of the roof trim 'rake boards' ... Can I request payment for the cost of the repairs from the previous owners? It seems these defects existed before I moved in. It seems to me this is a breach or a nondisclosure. It seems like these deficiencies should have been disclosed. I'm being made a victim. What are my rights in a situation like this?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2011
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Ray, Lawyer

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good evening.

RayAnswers :

You can pursue a claim and civil suit here if necessary for breach of contract based on misrepresentation and non disclosure here of material fact.The lawyer here would send demand letters to everybody involved.Usually both realtor and inspector have errors and omissions type coverage and may settle through their insurance.You see what responses you get and then consider a civil suit if you do not get sufficient recovery.

RayAnswers :

You have good facts because obviously these problems existed prior to closing.

RayAnswers :

You want a lawyer that does real estate litigation.Here is lawyer referral through your state bar.I wish you good luck here getting compensation for all of this.

RayAnswers :

Finding a Lawyer Using VLRS

Call(NNN) NNN-NNNN(metro Richmond)

Statewide and Nationwide Toll-Free Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

How Lawyer Referral Works

If you think you have a problem that may require the services of a lawyer, call the Virginia Lawyer Referral Service. Your call will be answered by a referral specialist who will request your name, address, a daytime phone number, and a brief description of your problem. Based on this information, you will be provided with the name and telephone number of a lawyer in the city or county in Virginia requested who has indicated a particular interest in handling your type of problem. The lawyer will be licensed and a member in good standing with the Virginia State Bar. It will then be your responsibility to call the lawyer to schedule an appointment. If it appears that you do not need a lawyer, you will be directed to an agency that may be able to help. Any information that you provide will be strictly confidential.

Learn more about VLRS by reading the Rules of the Lawyer Referral Service.

Initial and Follow-Up Cost

If you are referred to a lawyer, you will be entitled to consult with him or her for up to one-half hour for a fee of $35. Beginning July 1, 2007, you should be prepared to prepay by VISA or MasterCard at the time of the referral. Mail-in pre-payment by money order also is accepted. The initial consultation may answer your questions and enable you to solve your problem. If your problem requires additional time and work, you will be responsible for any additional legal fees. The lawyer you consult will be glad to discuss his or her fees and the cost of services beyond the initial consultation. However, there is no obligation for either you or the lawyer to go beyond the first consultation.

Hours of Operation

Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Closed on state holidays.

RayAnswers :

You have five years to bring such a claim in your state.

RayAnswers :

Contracts: Written, 5 years

RayAnswers :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­---------------------------------------------------------------------

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Ray, Lawyer