Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Hi In 2007 we purchased our condo/townhouse. There are 5 units.

Customer Question
Hi In 2007 we purchased our...
Hi
In 2007 we purchased our condo/townhouse. There are 5 units. We are the only unit with 2 trees outside the property in the backyard. We didn't receive the bylaws/covenants of the HOA until after signing when a stack of papers/information was given to us.
Before we purchased the house, we were told by both the owner and then confirmed by the realtor (the realtor for us was also the owners realtor) that the tree trimming was covered by the HOA.
Now the HOA-other owners are trying to place the responsibility of the tree trimming on us, or at least trying to seek legal council to determine if the trees are in fact our responsibility. Tree trimming had been previously covered by the HOA before we moved in. I am not sure what to do at this point.
Lisa
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/18/2011
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Loren, Lawyer
You need to review the bylaws and declaration which would control upon whom the burden of landscaping falls. Typically, landscaping for Individual units is done by the respective owner, while common area landscaping is the obligation of the association.
Loren, Lawyer