Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mother inlaw has an older home in Pennsylvania. The home…

Customer Question
My mother inlaw has an...
My mother inlaw has an older home in Pennsylvania. The home doesnt have a drain feild for the septic system. It has a large crock in the ground that was sealed. My father inlaw dug it up after it filled. He made an opening in the tank to allow fluild to flow out the the future. It still fills and creates a large puddle in there driveway. Yuck....Its not my home to say anything. Buy I would like to know if it is legal to a home with this stort of systyem?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/18/2011
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Pro, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Law Pro, Lawyer
No, it's not "legal". All someone would have to do is report the matter to the local municipality or complain to the local municipality and they would come out and test - perform a "perc" test.

Here's a link to the statute in PA:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/025/chapter73/s73.15.html

What usually happens is that they give them so much time to remedy the situation - then if they don't they can go in and have the work done themselves and charge the property owner OR just mandate that the property not be used.

Please ask for "Law Pro" if you have any further future questions!

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you (even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription program). You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. If you do have a follow-up question, press REPLY, NOT relist, or else I won’t receive the question.
Law Pro, Lawyer
Can the house be sold as is
It can be BUT most lenders won't give a loan for a property with this type of problem because they don't know how much it will cost to fix the problem OR if the problem can be fixed at all.

So the buyer would have to have cash to purchase the property which is very difficult to find such unless you're giving the property away.