Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I recently had to pay for the extermination for termite associated

I recently had to pay for the extermination for termite associated with my condo. However, all the areas were what the HOA consider common areas and there responsibility. They paid for repairs but not for extermination, don't think that is right especially since the preach that they control and maintain common areas
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney here to assist you.

Whether you're responsible for this expense depends on what your bylaws state and also what other members have been required to do in the past.

If the bylaws don't require you to pay for this, and if previous owners haven't been required to pay, you should petition the board and ask that the charge be covered by the association and not by you.

Conversely, if the bylaws require you to pay, and this has been the practice in the past, it will be your cost.

I think the main issue is whether or not the extermination occurred on your property or in common areas of the association.

If you can prove that the extermination was in common areas, the cost certainly should not fall to you.

I would recommend that you read the bylaws and then petition the board to pay the expense if it is clear that you're not financially responsible for this.