Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I trying to purcahse a tax forfeited property. I went to the…

Customer Question
I trying to purcahse a...
I trying to purcahse a tax forfeited property. I went to the Register of Deeds on yesterday. They informed me that the previous occupant is, in fact, the homeowner (not the mrtg. co.). I am going to ask her to sell me the house for back taxes/ or just sell me the house. Which type of deed should i seek?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/1/2011
Real Estate Lawyer: KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker replied 6 years ago
KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

You should purchase the property using a "Warranty Deed". Do not use a "Quit Claim Deed" because that means there could be something wrong with the title.

You will want to do a full title search back 50 years and have a lawyer or title insurance company review it for any issues. Make sure there are no other liens on the property other than the tax lien, because you would have to pay any other liens to purchase it.

Good luck.
Kimberly

Which would be best: to ask her to sell me the house for the back taxes, or just sell me the house? A title search was done for the last 20+ years. Is that sufficient?

When I speak with her, is it appropriate to present her with the paperwork for the title transfer? If so, what paperwork would I need for her to sign so the process can be completed?

Again,

Again, I l

Again, I live

Again, I live in
You can offer whatever you want, but she doesn't have to sell it to you for below the current market value.

The paperwork would include the deed and then your own mortgage docs. You need title insurance, so don't do this without a lawyer and title company.

Why do I need a title company? Lawyer?

Because you don't know what to look for in the title search to see if you have clean title. You have to go back so many years and evaluate the chain of title. This is not an easy process. You need the lawyer to make sure you don't make any mistakes that would cause you to lose money here. You have a lot to lose.
KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw