Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have been renting my home for 2 yrs,landlord takes his time…

Customer Question
I have been renting my...
I have been renting my home for 2 yrs,landlord takes his time fixing anything and is rarely here. He and his brothers have several homes they rent. Recently his garage burnt where he used to live, it was filled with junk,(hoarding). Now he has set up an office in the unusible garages, at the house I rent. I could never use the garages, they were stacked with junk, and still are, he has made a path in there to hav an office. But now I hav underage kids, 2 his daughters, and othes hanging out, sleeping in cars here, partying when I'm away at work, and when I am here, and I don' know what is going on. Can"t seem to enjoy my life anymore. His 2 daughters have been in trouble with the law alot, now it seems there problems have spilled over to my house. The cops have aleady towed one of their veichles, and canvas my neighborhood, which was a good place to live. Neighbors can' believe what they are seeing....I signed a lease, and none of this is in my lease, so do I have to deal with it, and pay 500 a month, low income housing has the problems, not my neighborhood. I am fifty yrs old,and really don't wish to deal with this, nor do I feel I should have to move because of this....my house is no longer worth 500 a month......would appreciate your help...thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/1/2011
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Roger, Lawyer

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney here to assist you.

If the garage is part of the property that you lease (meaning that it was not excluded from the lease agreement), he is occupying your leased space without your permission.

That is a violation of your lease agreement and your right to quiet enjoyment of the property. I would recommend that you write the landlord a letter stating that he is in violation of the lease and to cease and desist with interfering with his use of the leased property.

If he refuses, the only thing you can do is file a complaint in small claims court and ask the judge to enter an order requiring the landlord to stay off of your leased property and refrain from interfering with your right to quiet enjoyment of your space.

Roger, Lawyer