Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My wife is disabled. We rent an apartment and are 1/2 month

Customer Question
behind on rent. The landlord...
My wife is disabled. We rent an apartment and are 1/2 month behind on rent. The landlord is threatening to evict us. I have received text messages and a "For Rent" sign has been placed on the property. The Landlord tells me I have ten days to move. I have not received a written notice or a court date. I need some legal help to prevent eviction until I can pay the remainder of the rent or find someplace to move. What can I do?
I reside in Rio Rancho New Mexico. My wife has end stage renal disease and end stage diabetes.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/1/2011
Real Estate Lawyer: KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker replied 6 years ago
KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Well, your landlord doesn't have to accept partial payment of rent. So until you are able to pay the full rent you will still face eviction.

However, your landlord is only taking tactics to scare you right now. He can not legally evict you without giving you a written notice and then he has to actually go to court to get an eviction order from the court. You will be notified of that proceeding and can attend, asking the judge for more time or a payment plan.

So don't let him scare you too much right now. You do still have time to work this out. Possibly a month or longer before you would be technically evicted.

Take care,
Kimberly
KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw