Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

I live in Washington State and volunteer on our home owners

Customer Question

I live in Washington State and volunteer on our home owners association board. We as a board are trying to make headway regarding non-fiscal initiatives but instead with items like home colors, maintenance, landscaping, etc. but can never get enough votes for a quorum. My question is, if we send out an initiative for voting via registered mail to all HOA members that states a non-return of a vote is considered a vote in favor, is this legal and in accordance with the laws and regulations regarding HOA's in Washington State? Thank you. Steve J.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good morning. You can allow the homeowners to vote by proxy in hopes of getting a quorum, but you cannot deem a non-vote to be a vote in favor of anything.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have different intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply general information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.