Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am trying to sell my DC condo in a staged condition. My…

Customer Question
I am trying to sell...
I am trying to sell my DC condo in a staged condition. My sister said I could stay in her vacant house in nearby MD until I sold my condo. Now she is saying she wants me to move out and I am probably months away from going to settlement on the condo. Can she evict me from her house with a court order? I have been paying all the house bills and have spent over $7000 in renovations "to the dump" she let me move into.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/1/2011
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Richard, Lawyer

Good morning. Under the law, you are a month to month tenant. As such, she is going to be required to give you at least 30 days written notice to terminate. Then, if you don't leave, the law does not allow her to forcibly evict you without obtaining an eviction order from a court. What that means is that if termination date comes and you don't move out, she cannot simply change the locks or throw your things out. Rather, hat she has to do is to first deliver a 9-Day Notice to quit...which basically says you have 9 days to leave or face eviction. But, if you still haven't left, she must then file a petition with the court for an eviction order. Only when a judge has issued the eviction order can she have you evicted. That will buy you a good bit of time. You can definitely use those other things as leverage, but you must avoid using them as threats and finding yourself at the wrong end of an extortion criminal prosecution.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have different intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply general information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.