Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

getting divorce. left in nov., in dec we had a closing on…

Customer Question
getting divorce. left...
getting divorce. left in nov., in dec we had a closing on land that we were purchasing together so had to continue with it. i have made all payments on this but have asked wife to sign paper to put it on the market for sale but she won't sign the real estate papers for me to put it on the market thinks she is intitled to 50/50 split if it sells i told her i wanted to be reemberced the 7000.00 i have invested should i continue to make these payments or just let it go to forclosure she won't even help make the payments
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/1/2011
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Richard, Lawyer

Good morning. If she won't agree to sell, you can file a suit for partition in which event the court will order the property sold, you to be reimbursed for your disproportionate contributions, and the remaining amounts, if any, distributed equally between the two of you.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have different intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply general information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.