Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Does Santa Cruz County have any rent control limits Is 15%

Customer Question
Does Santa Cruz County have...
Does Santa Cruz County have any rent control limits? Is 15% increase an unreasonable amount?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/1/2011
Real Estate Lawyer: Dimitry Esquire, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Thank you for your question.

From what I have been able to find, Santa Cruz County does not have any rent controls on general units or apartments, but it does have rent controls for mobile homes.

Here is the link to the cities in California that do have rent control:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/appendix2.shtml

Here is the link to the laws governing rent controls for mobile homes:

http://www.codepublishing.com/CA/SantaCruz/html/pdfs/SantaCruz22.pdf

As for a 15% increase, it depends on a variety of factors including the value around the property, how often or how long ago last increase took place, and whether or not the unit was undervalued from the start. It is hard to look at a substantial increase and claim it is or is not reasonable, simply because other factors may influence the rents. A 15% increase for 4 years straight is more likely to be unreasonable. A first increase in 10 years to 15% is likely not deemed unreasonable.

Good luck.
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney