How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55708
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tenant that moved out of my apartment. Although she

This answer was rated:

I have a tenant that moved out of my apartment. Although she removed all her belongings, she did not clean the apartment. There is grease all over the kitchen walls behind the stove. There is dirt, gum, and grease all over the kitchen floor. The new refrigerator, both drawers and one side panel is busted. One of the kitchen cabinet drawers is busted. The kitchen counter tops and sink is filty. There is two interior doors busted and have to be replaced, and replacement doors have to be cut to size. The carpet is four years old, and at least four rooms have some kind of purple stains. One of the bedrooms have two walls with holes. Kitchen light cover broken. This tenant put of $900.00 and believes she is due back most of her money. Should I take her to court for damages beyond the $900.00?

Good evening. First, you can retain the security deposit to cover the damages and cleaning. You just want to make sure that within 30 days from the date the tenant vacates the property, you deliver an itemized statement of damages containing estimated or actual costs, including receipts (for estimated costs, the landlord must send a receipt within 30 days of the date of the letter) to the tenant. Second, you can sue the tenant for the excess damages. Once you get awarded a judgment in your favor, you can then have the sheriff serve a summons on her for a debtor examination. That forces her to meet you in court and answer questions under oath about her assets. After you obtain that information you have the power to garnish wages, attach bank accounts, and/or have the sheriff seize other property to satisfy the debt.



I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have different intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply general information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.



Richard and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you