How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a court order to stay in my apartment, until July

Resolved Question:

I received a court order to stay in my apartment, until July 1, 2011 in an unlawful detainer case. The manager knocked on my door on Sunday night telling me that I need to move. Yesterday, the owner came to my door threatened me, called me several racial slurs and tried to enter my apartment. I called the police and made a report. Can I file a motion and let the court know about this behavior?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


Yes, you can sue them for breaching you right to quiet enjoyment in the same court that gave you the order. However, you will have to prove a monetary damage other wise , even if you win, you will get a nominal sum like $10 to recognize the harm to you.


You may have a housing discrimination suit against the landlord. See above link.



If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or


If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have missed two days of work dealing with this. Can I get an additional week in the apartment as an admonishment to the landlord? Can I file anything with the court, I want the commissioner to know about this violation of his order.
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

You can ask for the lost wages. Whether getting an additional week in the apartment is a proper remedy for the harm will be upto the judge. That would not necessarily be the remedy for the type of breach you mentioned. If the judge was to award it, it would be based on equity and not law.


You can file a breach of contract suit with the court and say that they breach the quiet enjoyment covenant and that you want to be compensated for 2 days of lost wages.


You can also try to hold the LL in contempt for violating the court order, but this is not easy to do under the circumstances.



Maverick and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions