How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6423
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

City of Providence, RI overcharge me on taxes since 2001 $7586.18.

Customer Question

City of Providence, RI overcharge me on taxes since 2001 $7586.18. Fom that amount they agree to credit my tax bill for 2010 in the amount equal two years back taxes abated. However do to not updating my account they send to my mortgage bank a note of delinquency and got payment of $1890.20 from my escrow account, money that I did not own. Since February 7, 2011 I try to get refund in any amount that The City of Providence own me but I'm unsuccesful with my effort. Do I have any legal right to ask for refund and if yes what I can do about it?
Halina Skiba
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


You will need to send them a letter by certified mail return receipt and explain the probelm in detail and ask them to credit your account properly. Tell them that you want them to send to you written proof that they have corrected the issue and that you would appreciate the same within 10 days of the reciept of your letter. Send the same letter out again after 10 days if they have not corrected the problem. Then, do it one more time again.


If the problem is still not resolved to your satisfaction, you can sue them for civil conversion in court and/or write a letter to your city mayor or to a state legislator. Be sue to cc: Chase on all the communications. You can even cc: the mayor on all of the letters.



If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or


If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".




Maverick and 5 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you but I did that and I inform you about it.


Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.
okay...sounds fine.