Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

We are considering refinancing our 30 year first mortgage (no

second) to 15 years using...
We are considering refinancing our 30 year first mortgage (no second) to 15 years using the Home Affordable Refinance Program (HARP). We are comparing rates and costs with mortgage companies to ensure the best refinance terms. Initially, we had been informed that our loan, held by BofA, is a Fannie and we qualify for HARP. As we prepared to lock-in rate and term, BofA informed us that our loan is a HELOC and does not qualify for HARP in Texas. Is this correct?
6/9/2011
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

If you have a HELOC, then there is a good chance that it is not owned by Freddie/Fannie because they never really backed many of those types of loans.

However, you may want to check to see if either Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac owns your mortgage is an online property lookup tool:

Fannie Mae's lookup tool:

http://loanlookup.fanniemae.com/loanlookup/

Freddie Mac's lookup tool:

https://ww3.freddiemac.com/corporate/

If your property does not show up here, you should still call Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac to see they own your mortgage. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac do not always have the exact address saved correctly. This is why it's important to call.

Fannie Mae's phone number:

1-800-732-6643 or 1-800-7-FANNIE

Freddie Mac's phone number:

1-800-373-3343 or 1-800-Freddie

If your loan is not Freddie / Fannie than HARP will not work.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.attorneysaccess.com/ or http://www.martindale.com/.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Thank you for the information. I have called Fannie Mae and confirmed that they do own my loan and they do not service HELOC loans. I have requested BofA contact their Fannie Mae representative and confirm. Since I have owned this home for 35 years, my loan has been bought and sold a few times and I have financed for home improvement (second mortgage for swimming pool). I have combined and refinanced for better rates a couple of times. Closing costs have been rolled back into the new loan. Would this activity be considered HELOC, and in Texas "once a HELOC, always a HELOC" apply? Does Fannie Mae owning my loan trump the Texas legislation?

Under TX law, a HELOC is defined as an "open-end account that may be debited from time to time, for which credit may be extended from time to time and which is subject to certain fees."

This is not the same as a traditional home equity loan because the HELOC draws out the equity in the home to be used at the owner's discretion as a line of credit.

So, the first thing I need to know is do you in fact have a HELOC? It would appear to me that your loan is not a HELOC if FM is servicing it.

No, I do not have a line of credit, in fact, as a taxpayer, I have provided BofA a line of credit! I assume my previous home improvement loan is a traditional home equity loan.

Would this disqualify me from HARP?

No, because HARP allows traditional home equity loans. Sounds like someone at BoA is confusing a HELOC with a traditional home equity loan.

Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Maverick,

BofA responded as follows: "Whether your loan was a HELOC, HELOAN or cash-out refinance it is a TX A6 and will not qualify for the Making Home Affordable program." This appears to be correct, however, how did BofA get Fannie Mae and what does a TX A6 have to do with HARP?

The Making Home Affordable Program includes the Fannie Mae Home Affordable Refinance Program (HARP) and the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP).

http://www.mortgagefit.com/texas/a6loan-law-3.html

To be honest I am not able to make the connection but it appears to do with the fact that Texas has a liberal homestead policy and thus requires and 80% loan to value parameter. This may be why they are not able to do the HARP for you. See if the above link helps.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer