How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6421
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This question is for Maverick. Continuing with our case of

This answer was rated:

This question is for Maverick. Continuing with our case of the evictee's counterclaim that was never served to us, new developments happened today. Apparently, the tenant who got the default judgment has acted very quickly and managed to have our bank account at Wells Fargo frozen. Question now is, do we file a motion to vacate, as you suggest, or file a notice of appeal? The clerk of court said we have 20 days from the judgment date of May 23 to appeal, which means a June 12 deadline (which is this Sunday). The tenant, however, whom we visited this afternoon to see about getting her to settle, countered that we had only 10 days to appeal and that time was up. Which is correct? How do we go about filing a motion to vacate, which is what we would prefer? Reading the procedure for proper service again and again we think our best argument is as follows, whether it is for an appeal or a motion to vacate: the tenant, or litigant is supposed to be the entity making service, not the clerk of court. Only if our address was not known, would it be okay to leave the document with the clerk of court (presumably for forwarding to us). She, the tenant herself, was supposed to serve us. She was supposed to do so as described below in 1.442(2):

Service shall be made by delivering, mailing, or transmitting
by fax (facsimile) a copy to the attorney or to the
party at the attorney’s or party’s last known address or, if
no address is known, by leaving it with the clerk of court.
Delivery within this rule means: handing it to the attorney
or to the party; leaving it at the attorney’s or party’s
office; or, if the office is closed or the person to be served
has no office, leaving it at the attorney’s or party’s dwelling
house or usual place of abode with some person of
suitable age and discretion residing therein. Service by
mail is complete upon mailing.

She of course knew our address-- it was in the papers served her for the eviction and in the money judgment action as well. She did not serve us in any manner. The rule says SHE was supposed to. She simply filed her answer and counterclaim with the clerk of court, who supposedly mailed us a copy (that we never received). Okay, if this is all we've got, it sounds pathetic, but there's a detail that might be relevant.

In the weeks leading up to the money judgment hearing, we spoke with the tenant three or four times on the phone, the last time just days before the scheduled court date. We hinted to her that we may not appear for the money judgment because we appreciated the fact that she had moved out of the house voluntarily (although after the FED, so it wasn't really voluntary) and she in effect could just walk away from her rent obligation (if we did not appear). This will probably make the judge's jaw drop, but there is an electronic record (email) of this sentiment on our part. We emailed a notice to our property manager for posting on her door after the FED, when she was in the process of moving out. Part of the notice, which was sent as an attachment to the email, reads:

"On a personal note, you were given a break when we didn't appear in court for your eviction hearing, resulting in the action's dismissal and giving you the chance to walk away from your rent delinquency without an eviction record in exchange for vacating the house voluntarily."

Yes you read that right. WE ALSO DID NOT appear for the eviction hearing. Setting aside an explanation for that for the moment, the above notice was posted on her door by our property manager, days before the money judgment court date. There was not a peep from her about her counterclaim. She knew we didn't appear for the eviction hearing, which was dismissed. But because she started the process of moving anyway, we were grateful. We were sort of rewarding her by hinting to her that we may not appear again for the money judgment as well, allowing it to also be dismissed, and that's that. We were being the good guys. In this entire atmosphere, not once did she hint that there was a counterclaim. Will this, assuming it is believed in court, help?

There is an electronic record of the email, the date it was sent, and testimony from the property manager that such notice (which was an attachment to the email) containing that language was posted on the tenant's door before the money judgment hearing.

If we had attended the eviction hearing, would we have learned of the counterclaim? Maybe, maybe not. We didn't attend the eviction hearing because the process server failed to inform us of the court date for it. As unbelievable as this entire saga is, it is all true. (There was a new employee at the process server office who didn't return my repeated phone calls for the court date. I was still calling her a week after the court date, when I finally learned the FED was dismissed.)

Please advise: appeal or vacate motion? How to do each? What's the difference between the two? Do we have a chance?


Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


If you want to file an appeal, you will need to read the IOWA Rules of Appellate Procedure. Unfortunately, it is not something that many lawyers even know how to do competently unless they specialize in appellate law.


Your best option is the motion for rehearing explaining all of what you told me to the judge. He may not be too happy about you not showing up or taking time to cancel the hearing. But, if you were not served with the counterclaim, he really should sign an order to vacate the default judgment. There are probably many appellate cases holding that he should vacate the default under such circumstances. You can find those at a law library using the index to a set of books called the Iowa Digest by West



Rule 6.101 Time for appealing final orders and judgments appealable as a matter of right.

b. All other cases. A notice of appeal must be filed within 30 days after the filing of the final order or judgment. However, if a motion is timely filed under Iowa R. Civ. P. 1.904(2) or Iowa R. Civ. P.1.1007, the notice of appeal must be filed within 30 days after the filing of the ruling on such motion.

I would probably NOT use 1.1012(2) to argue that you need a judgment vacated.

Instead look at the Rule 1.1004 and file for a motion for new trial. The time period for doing this is 15 days under 1.1007. But you will need to file a stay under 1.1006 first.

If you already missed the 15 day deadline, then you would need to revert to 1.1012(2) which is a longer and riskier process.

You would still need to ask for a stay under 1.1006. To go this route you will need to understand and follow Rule 1.1013.

You can always file an appeal after losing a motion under 1.1004 under rule 1.1007


I would suggest that you go to an Iowa county law library and find a Iowa litigation manual with forms in it and look up these rules and use the forms that the book may provide for drafting and filing a motion for new trial.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or


If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
File a stay under 1.1006 first then file a motion for a new trial under 1.1004.

Do we do both today?

Can we, non-lawyers who have never seen a litigation manual before, do it ourselves?

My husband is now scrambling to go to the local library and find the forms.

In the meantime please tell me: when we have the forms in our hands, do we just do a written narration of things, in layman's language, or are there things in these forms that only a lawyer can do? We live half an hour away from the court. Can we fax the forms to the clerk of court?

We are looking for two forms- a motion to stay under 1.1006 and a motion for a new trial under 1.1004. How are the forms labeled? Are they generic, one page forms? Will the law librarian be able to help?

Thank you.

I'll click accept after this.

Yes, both today.


Yes, if you find a litigation manual with forms it should walk you through how to file these documents. Look up the rules in the index and go from there.


You will use the forms as a template and fill in your facts that apply. You may need to hand write your own or type your own version up thereafter. You will need to drive to the court house and file them before they close and get a hearing date set while you are there. The you will need to serve the other side with a copy of what you file and give them written notice of the hearing date. (All the stuff they did not do for you.)


You should be able to find the forms by those headings in the index or under the heading of the respective rules in the index to the litigation manual.





Maverick and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you