Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

In May, 2010 we converted an original 2 year lease option to

a 1 year lease on...
In May, 2010 we converted an original 2 year lease option to a 1 year lease on a condo in Ohio. The landlord owed us $4297.50 back from the purchase option. We placed $2330.00 for security deposit and reduced our monthly rent by $164.00 for 12 months to cover the balance that he owed us. One week after we signed our landlord signed the condo, 11 others, the clubhouse & pool over to the bank in Lieu of Foreclosure (unknown to us this had been in the works for months and the landlord & bank were waiting for our lease option to expire). In June we recieved a letter from the bank stating that they would honor the terms of our lease. We signed nothing with them. On September 5th the clubhouse, exercise room & pool, which we used daily, were closed permanently. The HOA & bank couldn't work out an agreement, so we are now paying large HOA dues for services that we don't have. Our lease which we feel was misrepresented expires on May11th. We would like to vacate now. We are willing to walk away from our security deposit and the aditional moies owed in reduced rent, as we've been told is a near impossible to get the money back from the bank. My question is, since we didn't have a written agreement with the bank and the original lease terminated when the landlord lost the condo, are we bound by the terms of the lease?
3/21/2011
Attorney & Mediator
You would be bound when the bank agreed to accept the terms of the existing lease as you did not object at the time the bank made these announcement. Your conduct of staying without objecting is evidence that you accepted the bank taking over as landlord. This would be their evidence if a court of law where to hear this case. If it is at all possible ask the bank to release you from the lease given that you wish to waive your deposit and additional monies they have from you. You are entitled to the deposit if you have not damaged the property. The bank cannot keep the deposit unless they present proof of damages beyond the normal wear and tear.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer