How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31730
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I sell my house to my son, if I give him a Gift of Equity,

Resolved Question:

When I sell my house to my son, if I give him a Gift of Equity, will there be any tax consequences for me?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney here to assist you.

No. If you gift a piece of property to someone and do not receive money as a result, you don't owe anything in taxes.

The only tax due is capital gains, which is any money over and above what you paid for the property. If there I'd no money, there is no tax.
Roger and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you