How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31788
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the best and most reliable way legally to stop a neighbor and their kids from tres

Resolved Question:

What is the best and most reliable way legally to stop a neighbor and their kids from tresspassing on my front yard more than one time? Can I send them a letter to request this action stop? They do this tresspassing more boldly when we are away. We have an alarm surveilance system that alerted us to the issue.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney here to assist you.


You could start with a letter asking that they refrain from coming onto your property. However, you can be more aggressive and file trespassing charges against them and get a court order stopping them from coming onto your land.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX letter: Should I send it certified with return receipt? Should I send a copy to the local police?


In regards XXXXX XXXXX trespassing charges: Is this more a civil matter or criminal. I have photos of the behavior. They occurred on two separate days. I am concerned it will continue if I do nothing. Yet, I want to temper my approach too as we have to live next door to these people. I am concerned the man could lose his cool.

Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Yes, you should send it certified. There's no need to send a copy to the police.


Trespassing can be both civil and criminal. You have the right to file charges under either.

Roger and 4 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you