How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31782
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a home in Boca Raton in 2010, getting my mtg and

Resolved Question:

I purchased a home in Boca Raton in 2010, getting my mtg and home insurance as a "primary" residence. I'm about to file 2010 taxes. My acctnt says it would be better for me to stay as a NY resident (which I've been for the last 3 years) in order to take advantage of $500K benefit when I sell NY home (within next 3 years, likely). Must I, legally, however, file my 2010 tax return as a Florida resident since this is what I claimed it would be on my mtg and insurance? thank you.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney here to assist you.

People change their states of residence all the time. You can notify your mortgage company of your change in residence. It's worth making this change and getting the credit available to you as a NY resident.

It's not likely that the change will effect your mortgage or insurance much - if at all.
Roger and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you