Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I am getting re married and my ex wife and I equally own a

I am getting re married and my ex wife and I equally own a home together. She insists that I sign a legal document stating my new wife would have no opportunity to gain interest in the home if I was to pass or in any other manner. Is there a standard legal document that we could fill out?

Thanks

Rick
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney here to assist you.

Your new wife needs to issue a quitclaim deed to you and your ex-wife for any interest in the property at issue. This will cause any right your wife may have to the property to be transferred to the two of you - this will eliminate any chance that she would have a right to inherit.

This is the only way to make this happen for sure because you can't stop your wife from inheriting from you if you were to pass away before her.