How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Lawyer,Former Broker and Just Answer Legal Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently applied for an apartment and was subject to the

This answer was rated:

I recently applied for an apartment and was subject to the usual background check on rental history. An item came back from an apartment I had rented 5 years ago. They said I owe them over $1400. in rent and late fees. This is not possible--the rent was $280 a month, on a month to month lease. All I had to do was tell them I wasn't renewing before the next month was due. I got married and left in June before the end of the month. They are charging for July and August, saying they had to clean the place twice, charging for a missing refrigerator drip pan, and "late fees". I don't see how all of that money is possible for "late fees." I wasn't ever notified of this. I cleaned before I left, including the carpet. It was 2 rooms and a bath. The new place I've applied to wants some kind of settlement with this old place before renting to me now. I don't see how I owe the old place anything; what should I do?
what should I do?

Informally you can contact the state consumer protection agency with helps with landlord and tenant disputes. You can also contact your local Better Business Bureau to see if they offer landlord-tenant disputes. In general, the landlord is to provide you with a written letter itemizing how they are entitled to such fees, keeping your deposit and for any cleaning etc... Of course you need to make sure they had your contact information to be able to send this letter. If they knew how to contact you but fail to send this letter, then they can forfeit asking for this, but his would require filing a suit against the former landlord disputing the amount. It would meaning having to file a lawsuit against the landlord disputing the amount, even if this occurred five years ago. So if you cannot resolve this informally through the BBB or State attorney generals office consumer affairs, then legally you would have to file a dispute in court and let the court decide.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated and I will be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have.


Please Note: is a public forum. is not a law firm. is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm. uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you